[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I was on the Tim Baker website the other day and it says he grew up in Detroit.
Now that is not true. I work in Ann Arbor, an I work with someone who went to
middle school and high school with him. At first I didn't believe him until
they just showed me yearbook pictures from his middle school (scarllet) and
High School (Ann Arbor Huron class of 85) Pictures. Detroit and Ann Arbor are
two different cites socially and geographic why do people lie just to say the
are from Detroit?

I'm not taking sides on this, but I think it probably has something to do with the fact that lots of people have heard of Detroit, while fewer have heard of the other cities around it. Saying you're from "Detroit" just keeps conversations conceptually simple, rather than having to get into some big spiel about where this particular suburb lies (yeah, I know, A2 is probably too far from Detroit to be considered a suburb, but you get my point.)

If you ask some kid at Tresor where Derrick May is from, you're going to hear "Detroit". It's just easier to conceptualize.

My $.02,

--
Dennis DeSantis
www.dennisdesantis.com