on 5/24/04 1:26 PM, Dennis DeSantis at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> So it should read John Doe grew up in the Suburbs of Detroit in Ann Arbor.
>
> But they just don't.  There's a huge precedent for this.  I don't know
> why it is, but the area casually called "Detroit" extends much farther
> than comparable metro areas in other parts of the country.
> It's just the way it is, and it has nothing to do with cashing in on the
> Detroit appeal.  My grandma would say it too (although she's actually
> from Detroit ;)

wasnt Malcolm X called "Detroit Red" in his younger days, even though he was
from Lansing, Michigan? "Lansing Red" somehow just doesnt carry the same
weight nor street appeal :^) but Lansing is a LONG way from Detroit.
must have something to do with the fact that Detroit is the only major
metropolis in the state of Michigan and the only city others around the
country (or world) know by name in this state.