From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2004 10:19 AM
To: 313@hyperreal.org
Subject: (313) Freefloats and feedback.

They were using those Orange cushion things at the Movement Festival, and
in my opinion they didn't seem to work too well. They still make the decks
bob up and down, like you are at sea.

What I would recommend is to go buy those foam pads that go under monitor
speakers and use those. They work far better at reducing unwanted
vibrations. Still, your decks will be raised up about 4 inches, so be
prepared for that.

> Incidentally for the gig I just mentioned in a previous post I've
> purchased
> a pair of those "Freefloat" things (bright orange, weirdly shaped
> inflatable
> cushions you put your decks on) in an attempt to reduce feedback which
> seems
> to the limiting factor with our set up at the venue we're playing.  Does
> anyone know if they work for this purpose?  The makers reckon you should
> be
> able to turn your system up 20 - 30 dB more (so I guess they must provide
> 20 - 30 dBrw?).
> What other measures do people find effective to combat feedback (foam vs.
> inner tubes vs. paving slabs vs. water vs. combinations vs. something I
> haven't heard of etc.) and what does anyone know about the phenomenon?
> I've
> heard that Technics 1200s/1210s may be particularly susceptible to
> vibrating
> at a frequency which I've heard quoted as both round 60Hz and 40Hz.
>
> Francis

and then destroy it.