the best (only?) detroit wildpitch release: dance fever 'out on the
dancefloor' (piled witch mix).
although that feeling might not be univerally shared - i have cleared a
dancefloor with it.

as much as i love the wild pitch sound, it wasn't a sound that had much
potential to grow and mutate. without a skilled hand  at the controls the
driving sound of wildpitch can so easily veer into the progressive/techy
realm. some of felix's releases were heading in that direction.

some favourites: (all s.r.)
phuture rise from your grave
phuture inside out (an underappreciated classic!)
pierre fire drill

james
www.jbucknell.com

             "Dan Kurzius"
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
             23/07/04 02:57 PM         <313@hyperreal.org>
                                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: (313) Felix Da Housecat

Yeah the wild pitch sound was on it's way out when rise from your grave
dropped.  The Phuture guys did release Spirit on Strictly Rhythm and Pierre
dropped What Is House Muzik on Emotive a couple of years later but not much
beyond that really came out.  At least anything I've seen beyond that has
just been repressing of the original classics.  If anyone knows of any
records I might have missed I'd love to hear about them!

I think labels such as DJ Duke's Sex Trax and even DJAX-UP were partly to
blame for the downfall.  Duke was big on the wild pitch sound and DJAX-UP
was big on the Chicago tip.  From what I saw people jumped all over those
imprints, me included.

Unfortunately many of the projects were less melodic and more techno, which
influenced many wild pitch producers to start cranking out banging techno
records versus staying true to the original wild pitch style.

Granted I liked the banging stuff, many other labels were already putting
out techno of that nature so I personally didn't like to see the older
Chicago producers who understood the Wild Pitch formula going that route.