From: Aidan O'Doherty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>there has been a lot of discussion recently about how to get the
younger
>(american) generation to listen to techno and that the majority
of this
>list are over 25 (myself included).

yeah, well i wouldnt say i was feeling jaded, just old. however,
an interesting experience happened to me this weekend that made me
feel motivated and warm inside. i was working at the record store
on saturday when this kid came in the shop. he was asking about
detroit house records. this is enough to arouse suspicion in my
since no one does this usually, i have to force it upon them
before they realise that its the bomb. so this guy is telling me
about how he heard the 3 chairs play at movement last year and at
the pontiac festival this year, and starts explaining to me who
they were. i was like "yo, i know who they are, you dont have to
tell me." and he just kept on going, telling me about his friend
who makes ambient techno and who also spins detroit house and
techno, blah blah blah. so he tells me that he's spinning in the
suburban pittsburgh community of brentwood that night, and that he
and his friend would be playing the good stuff. i was pretty
doubtful, but me and jwan decided to go out. it turns out that
they both have pretty great records, even some harder to find
stuff like the quadrant EP on r+s. they had few really
questionable selections, and good knowledge of all different kinds
of stuff. they were dropping some salsoul disco records, some
prince, etc. their deejaying was not bad, but not excellent
either. reguardless, brentwood is a crappy white trash type
community, not known for any amount of culture. no one at the club
(really corny club nonetheless) was really getting into it, but
they werent leaving either. they explained to me that they were
only 20, but had been buying records here and there for 4 years
and had been playing them at all their friends' house parties,
even though their friends didnt care. and you could totally tell
that they had studied all their records very well, they knew them
inside and out. theyve lived essentially in isolation in the burbs
and developed a really good taste in music with almost no local
influence. it was wild. anyway, theyre really cool kids and we
should be helping them get some recognition locally. it just made
me feel really good that even in a culturally devoid place like
the suburbs of pgh, kids can pick up good music and really run
with it.

tom

andythepooh.com