you see it can happen, god on them and you for going to check em out.......its
up to us to educate the kids so if kids aren't getting into the style then we
are to blame...

        -----Original Message-----
        From: Thomas D. Cox, Jr. [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Sent: Mon 10/11/2004 5:11 PM
        To: 313@hyperreal.org
        Subject: Re: (313) feelin' jaded

        From: Aidan O'Doherty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

        >there has been a lot of discussion recently about how to get the
        younger
        >(american) generation to listen to techno and that the majority
        of this
        >list are over 25 (myself included).

        yeah, well i wouldnt say i was feeling jaded, just old. however,
        an interesting experience happened to me this weekend that made me
        feel motivated and warm inside. i was working at the record store
        on saturday when this kid came in the shop. he was asking about
        detroit house records. this is enough to arouse suspicion in my
        since no one does this usually, i have to force it upon them
        before they realise that its the bomb. so this guy is telling me
        about how he heard the 3 chairs play at movement last year and at
        the pontiac festival this year, and starts explaining to me who
        they were. i was like "yo, i know who they are, you dont have to
        tell me." and he just kept on going, telling me about his friend
        who makes ambient techno and who also spins detroit house and
        techno, blah blah blah. so he tells me that he's spinning in the
        suburban pittsburgh community of brentwood that night, and that he
        and his friend would be playing the good stuff. i was pretty
        doubtful, but me and jwan decided to go out. it turns out that
        they both have pretty great records, even some harder to find
        stuff like the quadrant EP on r+s. they had few really
        questionable selections, and good knowledge of all different kinds
        of stuff. they were dropping some salsoul disco records, some
        prince, etc. their deejaying was not bad, but not excellent
        either. reguardless, brentwood is a crappy white trash type
        community, not known for any amount of culture. no one at the club
        (really corny club nonetheless) was really getting into it, but
        they werent leaving either. they explained to me that they were
        only 20, but had been buying records here and there for 4 years
        and had been playing them at all their friends' house parties,
        even though their friends didnt care. and you could totally tell
        that they had studied all their records very well, they knew them
        inside and out. theyve lived essentially in isolation in the burbs
        and developed a really good taste in music with almost no local
        influence. it was wild. anyway, theyre really cool kids and we
        should be helping them get some recognition locally. it just made
        me feel really good that even in a culturally devoid place like
        the suburbs of pgh, kids can pick up good music and really run
        with it.

        tom

        andythepooh.com