Oh my God.  I'm staggered beyond all belief.

In the last 20 years I've had little trouble walking up to most any
famous performer, DJ, band, whathaveyou, that I wanted to meet -
either because they seemed like interesting people or simply
because I respected their musical talent and wanted to say thanks -
as it's been easy to rationalize (hey, they all put their pants on one
leg at a time, just like me - and, as I've gotten older, invariably
they're all younger than I am, which helps).

Except for John Peel.

At Sonar last year I saw him standing around in SonarVillage
and I kept trying to get up the nerve to go shake his hand.

I was too intimidated.  Not by his presence - he seems jovial
and approachable enough in person - but for an old fart like me,
the man is simply a God among men.  Back in the Punk days when you
were lucky to get a beaten-up 6-8 week old copy of the NME in your
local (US) record shop, the man and his playlists (and his end
of the year Festive 50 lists) and of course the Peel Sessions
were an absolute godsend to an overseas Punk fanatic.

I told myself that if I saw him at Sonar next time 'round that
I'd right the wrong and go up to him this time.  Now I'll never
get that chance.

I see that Tony Blair chimed in with his 2p - do the right thing,
Tony, give this man a state funeral.  Few Britons over the last
35 years have been as important as this man was - to this overseas
observer, anyway.

   - Greg