From: "Matt MacQueen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Carissa Tintinalli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <313@hyperreal.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 9:22 PM
Subject: Re: (313) No Movement 2005?

On Jan 26, 2005, at 1:59 PM, Carissa Tintinalli wrote:

I think the significant difference between this year and past years is
the current, um, "chaos" that Detroit city government is in right now.

Considering the massive financial money pit that is Detroit, impending
receivership and heightened scrutiny of expenditures, I simply can't
see the city approving this UNLESS Saunderson can show commitment from
private sponsors for every single dollar he needs. But I would think
in order for sponsors to commit, they'd probably want a guarantee that
the festival is happening, right? It just seems like a possible
catch-22.
Ahh, great point on the city gov't politics.  It seems like now even
the national press is starting to carry the story of how dire the
detroit city budget deficit situation is..  where lots of job losses
potentially on the line and closing of various public things already.
It seems like anything flashy involving money (right down to that
pimped out city-owned Lincoln Navigator?  too funny) is drawing
incredible scrutiny.  It's like a budget witch hunt.

I think they could charge even a MODEST admission and they'd still get
gobs of people down in Hart Plaza.  Even $1 per person.. think about
how much $$$ that would have been to put towards the equipment rental,
security costs, etc...   I think the event has proved it's 'worth'
enough to the US and international "Entertainment Press" that by now
people would have a clue it'll be worth the few bucks you'd have to
shell out to participate.

peace

--
Matt MacQueen