From: Stoddard, Kamal [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, February 07, 2005 10:35 AM
To: 'Tosh Cooey'; 313@hyperreal.org
Subject: RE: (313) Radio Fries

I don't know what radio you listen to, but here in the atl, it's good. Dude,
I heard that set and frankly, the excitement was more from knowing that jeff
and garnier (techno old guard) still had the balls to play that stuff to the
generally picky and elitist euro dance music crowds (yeh I still think
dancing should be a learning experience). The music wasn't groundbreaking in
it's programming or selection. I hear that kinda stuff on more than a few
radio stations here (WCLK, WRFG, WREK, WRAS, etc). Completely deliberate
eclectic programming spanning the gamut of music history. The reason this
opinion of american radio persists is because of the ameriklan consolidation
of media control.  Clear channel dictates playlists for something like 70%
of amerikkkan radio. College radio and independent (radio free) stations
have always and (IMO) will continue to set the bar for wider consumption of
eclectic and divergent tastes in this country. Total eclectisism may have
been groundbre!
 aking when Mojo was rocking, but even though I wasn't in detroit back then
we had More than a few cats who were doing the equivalent for our city. I
remember hearing Kraftwerk, 2live crew, muddy waters, new edition, and
parliament all in the same hour of "less talk, more music". Now I'll tell
you what was shocking, to turn on my radio in the car sometime last week
(never do, I like the wind sounds) and hear a two hour set of drone and
glitch ambient...at like 8:30 pm. Strange but true. Still not sure if I
liked it though.

But....I'll tell you what I do like! Joakim's remix of MR. No on New
religion. Mr. Keeling!!! Please keep doing the thing you're doing with this
label!!!!! The original is like italo horror core getting some in the
bathroom at studio54. joakims version straps the beat down to a solid 4x4
and drops some arped synths that seem to compliment it in it's own rather
than updating the sound per-se. Joakim takes a noticably lighter mood and
the bass is clear and simple. Really nice. My kids really like this one too.
:)

Kamal K. Stoddard
Turner Broadcasting Systems

** I am exactly what I wanted to become since I was 5 years old. Since 5
year olds are not noted for mature judgement and sometimes aspire to piracy
or gunfighting, this is not necessarily a sign of success. **