On 3/16/05 5:36 PM, "Thomas D. Cox, Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Some comments from CC in an interview with a local paper here:
>
> those were some nice quotes here, do you have a link to the full
> story?

I looked for a link, but no joy. The article with the interview is "Future
Sounds" by Grant Smithies, Escape section, Sunday Star-Times, March 13. They
archive their issues here, but you have to pay to gain access it seems.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/sundaystartimes/0,2106,0a6005,00.html

Here's the rest of the direct quotes from CC, anyway, for those of you
interested in where his head is currently at (or where it's been):

"You drive around Detroit now [and] there's all these monolithic factories
with blown-out windows, there's burnt-out cars like in a war zone,
crackheads wandering around the wreckage, and so on. It's very worn-out
looking, but also very futuristic looking, like something out of Blade
Runner or RoboCop.

When we were inventing this music as teenagers we all thought automation,
computerisation and electronics were the things that were going to transform
society and lead to a better world, which is ironic because they've actually
put even more people out of work.

But my point is, we weren't escaping. Sure, we were imagining alternative
realities, but we were basing them at home, in Detroit. We made music to
make the place we were living in more beautiful."

[Talking about Motown's influence on him]:

"Man, I hate most of that sh*t. Some Motown artists like Marvin Gaye and
Stevie Wonder, they had a certain ominous darkness, a kind of symphonic
melancholia to their best music that you also hear in a lot of techno. But
thing like 'My Guy' or 'Dancing in the Streets', those songs are pure
bubblegum, man.

Even so, those songs had an influence. Detroit techno artists like myself,
Detroit funk guys like Parliament, Detroit rock acts like MC5 or The Stooges
-- we were all reacting to that sugary production-line stuff in our own
ways. We wanted to overthrow it, not be seen as related to it just because
we happened to be born in the same town."

Cheers,

Wes