the only attention that should be paid to the dj is with your ass and, for
the more energetic, feet.
james
www.jbucknell.com

             "Simon Hindle"
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             u.nsw.gov.au>                                              To
                                       <313@hyperreal.org>
             15/04/05 12:42 PM                                          cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: (313) iPod DJ

Yeah, but 'tis merely the novelty of it all I imagine. Most big DJs who are
playing out on Final Scratch probably haven't really had the gear for long,
especially when you express the time they've had it as a percentage of
their total time on the 1s and 2s.

Or maybe they're checking their email/watching the latest episode of
Battlestar Galactica they got off bittorrent the day before.

It's the perennial challenge, IMO - how do you turn an electronic music
performance into a 'show'? And furthermore, ought you to?

>>> "Cyclone Wehner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 04/15/05 11:06 am >>>

Every time I have seen a DJ with Final Scratch they look at the screen the
whole set and never the crowd, and then the crowd gathers around and if
they
can they look at it as well. It's created a barrier. The next challenge is
to find a way around that.  It's very disengaged...

> At 2:36 PM -0400 4/14/05, /0 wrote:
>>id like to play somewhere with sound good enough for me to
>>differentiate between a 320k mp3 and a wav file
>
> I'd like to *dance* at a club with sound that good, too!
>
> Anyway, I still don't like the idea of computer files substituting
> for vinyl.  Just think, if DJs ripped their vinyl favs onto their
> ipods (or laptop hard drives), where would taste-setting airline
> baggage handlers get their bumpin' tunes?
>
> I tell ya, the world will be a sadder and poorer place if those poor
> baggage handlers have only old Neil Diamond and Burl Ives records to
> listen to after work.  It'll set civilization (or at least airline
> service) back at least forty years.
>
> -marc

ForwardSourceID:NT0001D27A