dj's who use laptops and still engage the crowd...

hawtin
francois k
kevin saunderson
chris liebing

djs who use vinyl and stare at their shoes...

herbert
mark farina
carl craig
jeff mills (kidding!)

it takes all kinds

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, Cyclone Wehner wrote:

Yes, that's right. I think more people end up watching a DJ on laptop than
one on decks but I am not knocking the technology per se, I just citing a
'limitation' I have noticed, if you can call it that. The DJs on laptop I
have observed never look up at the crowd, they're affixed to the screen, you
could be watching them on TV, or in their bedroom practising on webcam,
whatever! It changes the psychology of the situation.

i think the dj should be a part of the party, same as the dancers etc.
the scenario described by cyclone et al suggests that most djs behind
the screen are less a part of the party (-vibe) than many djs behind decks.
this does not necessarily mean that one has to make the clown.. just be
*present*.
and for sure it doesn't mean that we idolize the dj in rock star way
already if we demand her *presence*.

armin