The confusion about normalization is probably because many audio editors have
two options for normalization (Sound forge for example), one based on peak
value and one called RMS which applies compression to make the signal all at a
maximum level.

In terms of recording your vinyl, I would recommend skipping out on the
amplifier altogether and investing in a turntable with digital outs (I use the
Numark TTX with a white label needle and I think the results are great) and a
sound card with digital ins. That will get you the cleanest possible signal.
Just make sure the digital to analog converters are good on the card and table
you get.