From: Matt Kane's Brain [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 7:39 AM
To: lr2
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; 313@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: (313) New music vs. New old music (was Juan Maclean)

On Wed, September 21, 2005 8:47 am, lr2 said:
> Though they're not techno, some of you might know BR54-9 or Squirrel Nut
> Zippers...they're two acts that rose to some degree of fame by clever
> incorporation of OLD material.  When I first heard them I thought they
> were
> so fresh and interesting never realizing that they were trawling through
> the
> back catalogues of obscure country and jazz tunes respectively.  It would
> have been nice if they'd worn their influences a little more openly on
> their
> sleeves so I could have had a better context to place their music in.

I started listening to the Zippers while they were being hyped on MTV, and
I remember them being very firmly placed in the "retro/revival" arena
along with Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, the Brian Setzer Orchestra, and
ska-band-turned-swing-band Cherry Poppin Daddies. All the press I read in
that period made sure to mention either a return to big band and swing,
and some articles went so far to point out that the zippers played jump
blues, not big band. Even interviews with the band were like "I wear a tux
when I play out out of respect for the audience, too bad nobody else does
that these days".

--
/* Halley */ (Halley's comment.)
matt kane's brain