i have to say that i'm generally in the grumpy old man
camp: "i've heard this before-- can't you kids play
something new?"

but one positive side effect of the New Old Music
phenomena right now is the reintroduction of grit into
some of the music. even though most of the neo-acid
and neo-punk funk are waaay to clean for my taste, the
revival has had the effect of dirtying up a lot of
stuff. here in san francisco, the ubiquitous disco
house sound has become a lot less sterile and is (can
be) more distorted and dischordant.

another good side effect is that as much as i love my
80's punk funk, LCD Soundsystem sounds much better on
a modern sound system than A Certain Ratio.

-d