Robin,

Yup count me in for the afternoon "Techno Golden Oldies" dance party in the
recreation room at the convalescent home.

San Diego report: Nothing happens here. Some promoters: Merge Life/ Kava
Lounge, DJs: Tyler Brunnel and dirtyradio.net, Austin Speed (artist), myself,
all seem to come from a classic house/ techno aesthetic. I'm sure there are
more of us..but we all have a great habit of not connecting with one another,
so a cohesive scene is never actualized...but it is slowly changing...

Easy to freak out the yougins with 'Washing Machine' or 'It What It Is' or 'G
Force'...anyone remember that Fuse track: 'Technotropik'?...first few minutes
are bitchin' before it kind of moves into that lush 'Pacific State' territory.
Anywho. The point: A lot of kids, yes, are more apt to name a superstar DJ than
an actual producer, but when you drop some of the classics on them, they freak,
and you get to be the wise elder/ hero.

Back in the 80's and 90's: You had a lot of music that really made you sit up,
take notice and ask "What the hell is THAT!" or even want to make you rush home
to listen (again) to a new record you just bought. I rarely have that happen
these days, in spite of some  incredible/ inspiring music that is being
produced.

To Phils question: The context that I hear a lot of original House and Techno
are  in more lounge atmospheres, where the dance floor, though active, is not
the focal point. (80 to 130 BPM)

Has the DEMF raised any awareness to real/ buttkicking electronic nutiness?
Nope. None that I can decipher out here in San Diego.

I really like the pulse/ take on electronic music that Los Angeles' KCRW has
taken. They web-cast/ archive. Lots of really great music, and I tune 'em in
for their electronic programs. Look 'em up. They have been my saviours for the
past 6 years since I have been living in the SD/ LA area.

Best,

Louis