>theREALmxyzptlk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 11/03/2005 11:24:04
AM:

> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >find that lots of younger people do want to go see certain artists -
> >people who are legends and cornerstones of music history - but these
> >artists price themselves right out of the younger generation's pocket
book

>I doubt it - often the parents are buying. Check the prices for the crap
>that's hot on the radio these days and it's usually higher than that.
>When McCartney swung through town, I knew one guy who took his whole
>family - at about $130 a pop. And those weren't scalped prices, either.

sorry, should have clarified - college aged (and around there) who
don't/can't rely on their parents to buy them tickets

> >why go see Bowie for $60+ when you can catch a band for $5-15?

> Because a large majority of concert-goers (i.e., the ones who will go
> see what's hot on MTV/Clear Channel affiliates, etc.) aren't interested
> in a good deal of the bands who charge $5-15 per ticket.
> And if Ticktemaster handles the seats, what started at $20 ends up
> being close to $30.
> Even the good indie shows are usually at least 20 (before surcharges,
etc.)

Well, again, those aren't the people I'm talking about
you're average MTV/Clear Channel viewer/listener, I would argue, isn't
interested in David Bowie
they couldn't care less about his influences on modern music
it's the person who is interested in the indie band who is more inclined to
be curious about Bowie and they can't afford $60+ tickets
they can maybe afford a $30 ticket (with the surcharges - depending on
where you live) but will probably settle for a more underground or local
band instead
that way they can still pay their bills, buy a beer at the show, etc.
It's for that reason, I am speculating, that you don't see many people
under 40 at a show like Bowie

MEK