> Anyone who can explain to a total dullard what exactly it means for detroit
> to have the hip-hop mayor back in power?
>
> is this a good/bad thing?
>
> does a mayor have a lot of power in america?

I don't know exactly what it means, but I get the impression that Kilpatrick
has a pretty bad reputation in some quarters. A few people I've spoken to
allege that he's deeply corrupt + there are also rumours of violence and strong
arm tactics.

I recently saw photos of what appeared to be Kilpatrick assaulting a political
colleague (can't find them at the moment though) + there seem to be various
scandals brewing.

On the other hand, one of his deputies (whose name I forget, sorry) seemed to
play a key role in facillitating Fuse-In's 2 year contract with the City and
pushing past some beaurocratic hurdles.

I think it's hard to say for certain what's going on until some of the
allegations reach the courts. I'm afraid that I don't follow Detroit's
newspapers enough to have a firm handle on what they're saying about him.