On Dec 6, 2005, at 8:40 AM, Kent Williams wrote:

I wouldn't be too hard on Stewart for switching to computer.  When he
formulated his "no laptops" idea, the software and hardware wasn't
near as stable and capable, and a lot of people were doing sets that
weren't very engaging.

oh true... but that's partially the audience's fault for standing and staring at a performer doing dance music rather than facing the middle of the room and GETTIN DOWN instead ;) which has been happening for the last 10 years. Ever seen Mills DJ a blistering techno mix in the US? There's 1000 guys staring like they're watching a hula hoop contest, not a foot moving. A few of the extra funky types might do a head bob here and there. The party really goes bezerk when someone pumps a lone fist into the air. <ahem> SO it's not just laptops causing party lameness, it's lame partiers too. :)

Believe me, having a few punters call him out on the 'no laptops'
thing is nothing compared to the teasing he gets from other producers!

It sort of reminded me how early rock bands used to diss (and print on their albums) NO SYNTHESIZERS were used in the making of our album... because that would be synthesis which is "Fake" music... hah.

anyway, I think despite Stewart's good intent anyone who postulates that kind of attitude is well-deserving of any good hearted ribbing. It's the price you pay for being a loudmouth on the issue, no ill will intended. He realized like everyone else it's mostly what comes out of the speakers (and a side-order of portable practicality) that matters. "If it kick it kick, period."

peace
--
MM
http://sonicsunset.com