Yeah, I always thought dance music was for dancing to! :)

A friend of mine who DJed a few times in the states but is based in
the UK told me how when he played a few places in the states nobody
would dance. They all liked the music, clapped at the end or whatever,
but kept perfectly still despite the dance music he was playing.

With techno/electro/house I usually think it's the DJs job to get
people to dance.

I suppose if it's weird chin strokey musique concrete or whatever then
it's more acceptable to stand around and have a bit of a shoe gaze (I
always try to have a dance anyway, if I like what's being played).

Must be a states thing, check out Cylob's "rave photo" page, he also
talks about how nobody in the US dances at gig:
http://www.cylob.com/rave_photos/ravephotos.html

-skkatter

--
http://www.skkatter.net