sorry for the non-timely reply, finally got time to get back to this thread

On Dec 6, 2005, at 2:52 PM, /0 wrote:

not dancing isn't a fault. if someone pays the same money you did to get into an event which focuses on AUDIO, is your night really diminished because that person doesnt want to dance?

do you require that sporting event attendees cheer and scream throughout the game/match?

i figured that would stir up some kind of response. Of course it's a combo. You are coming from a 100% "me" centric view of the party, not a "we" centric view (which i realize is basically extinct in this country, but it wasn't always that way). I think the difference is in the things you list, it's a clear performer (rockstar) & audience (adoring spectators) relationship. in a soccer game, people can't run from the stands onto the field and participate, whether they cheer or not. If you regard a DJ like an arena rockstar, where you just watch them rock out, standing in place - then you're reinforcing that the crowd are just along for the ride, instead of being active particpants in a special event that THEY HELP CREATE how the event feels. A reason, in fact, to attend at all, other than the person on stage. LIke when underground parties were ALTERNATIVES to mainstream nightclubs and rock concerts (where there is typically a more brutal caste system, you had to pay more, dress codes, velvet ropes, etc.) where in contrast underground discos and raves were more about inclusion and participation in "making the night", not just spectators who paid to gawk at one person.

now of course some events are more tuned to participation than others, i was just making a statement that i think the "what do you bring to the party" element is dying/dead, unfortunately.

at a music-based that plays music specifically designed to make people dance (or think, but STILL it's physical-driven music, played in physically-driven way), there was a time when the crowd WAS the party. The DJ didn't make the party, they just provided the soundtrack. I went to early hawtin parties in detroit / eastern market where he and other DJs would play behind a screen. This was more rare but it happened. But the people controlled the vibe, the fun, the reason you went. It was about "what can I add" , not "what can I get". THis is getting more about party dymanics, (and away from a more 313 topic) but in the not-too-distant-past, the whole temporary autonomous zone that older parties had that made them more special that just typical nightclub live PAs. I'm talking about an underground thing here. "A dark room and a feeling" and all that good stuff.

if the music sucks but everyone else is dancing, are you happy?

well, probably moreso than if the music sucked and everyone just stood around with mouth agape. but of course music is the reason people want to dance, so it's hard to have one without the other.

not picking on anyone in particular, but people complaining that xy and z wasnt dancing seems ridiculous to me.

and thousands of people standing around watching one of the best Djs in the world play dance music for people to dance to seems ridiculous to me. guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one

if it ruins your night, you're too damn sensitive

i'm probably too damn sensitive in general ;) but i never said it ruined anyone's night. i just think parties are more fun with the participants who understand they are an active role in making the event as fun as much (or more than) the performer who is there to provide a sonic backdrop to their fun. giving the party to the people, not the person on stage, who is just one of a thousand other party participants.

music appreciation is ultimately an individual choice, people will do what comes to them - watch or sleep or jack their body. I just prefer more active participants than you that help create something more special than what amounts to watching a DVD.

peace
--
MM
http://sonicsunset.com