Simon Kong wrote:

  It's interesting ..

   but this sound .. the minimal dub'esqu vibe .. was accused of killing
   the NZ Techno scene recently.

   We have been trying to revive the sound of techno here for a while.

   Since around 96 - 98 ' there has been little to negative action on the
   Techno front .. and in recent discussions on a local list .. it was
   mooted that the shift from long play hard bangers to more reverb
   shifting dub scape's .. killed the floor . and subsequently the scene.

On the flip .. it's as if the vibe purposely went below the filter line
   to hide in the rusty clicks ' and tingling echoes .. waiting while the
   storm of utter crap to blew over ..

   Can we expect ' some point soon where the inverse will occur ..

   Where emerging from the timber of space hollow chambers ' the
   soul shifting damage of relentless rhythm lines unleash a new
   focus on this techno belief.

   ..

  da . it's an awful lot that you expect from one record these days ..

  but ' i never accepted the word "seminal" until I grew up ..

  ..

  break out the love ' and let the bass shine through

  .simon

My take would be that these downtempo dubby songs are
the perfect warmup for moving into uptempo warm dubby things,
detroit techno, etc.  Many people associate techno with bang-bang-bang-bang,
but this would be a perfect juxtaposition to show them the
difference with the maurizio/rhythm and sound/basic channel/
chain reaction/juan atkins/infiniti/terrence dixon/robert hood/
redplanet et al that have a meditative dubby quality and yet
are great for dancing to. That's
in my sinus cold brain addled thoughts, that is. :0 andrew

--
Andrew Duke
scoring/sound design/source