On 2/2/06, Simon Kong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>    I suggest it goes further to the fact that Dj'ing is a skill being
>    constantly underestimated.  Especially in regards to presenting
>    techno .. which in truth requires a true understanding of pitch,
>    tone and rhythm ..
>
>    For the fact that most Dj's i know never quite understood in a
>    musical & technical sense what someone like Jeff Mills is
>    doing when he plays ..
>
>    I think even outside selection .. much needs to be explained
>    and expressed about the methods of playing the music .. in
>    order for new generations to appreciate it.
>
>    In NZ in particular .. a whole generation of dance heads have
>    missed the particulars & finesse of properly presented techno.
>
>    Infact ' nearly all Dj's I hear today adhere to strict beat matching
>    policies .. working the 32 & 16 to perfection .. instead of reaching
>    deeper into sonic conditions to find the harmonics shifting point.
>
>    Have we gotten over the sloppy attitude of
>
>    "I don't care about the mix .. I just play the music"
>
>    I can appreciate the approach of the collector ' valuing each tune
>    for its content & context .. but are we going to see a rebirth of the
>    musical DJ ' someone in tune with the records ' the sound system
>    and the technology.

hmm, its interesting that i thought i agreed with you, but in the end,
im just not sure. i know there's something to be said for the mad
mixing style of people like mills, but that is definitely something
that doesnt sound good in all occasions or with all styles of music.

i do agree that people underestimate the skills necessary to really
work a crowd. it can be done with 3 decks and crazy mixing, but even
alot of those guys who do that IMO miss the real purpose of the
deejay. the purpose is to make the crowd ride the wave of music that
comes from the interaction between the room and the deejay. being able
to harness the energy and take people up, down, around, etc seems
pretty close to something like downhill skiing or surfing, where you
must at every moment be prepared to make a new maneuver if it is
called for. too many people are static when they deejay, they play
only one genre or one BPM. even good techno can be monotonous when its
not broken up with other stuff. and to be able to play those other
things and take people with you when you do is not a skill that comes
easily, and i dont believe many people even do the things necessary to
hone it.

tom