break out the love ' and let the bass shine through

  .simon

My take would be that these downtempo dubby songs are
the perfect warmup for moving into uptempo warm dubby things,
detroit techno, etc. Many people associate techno with bang-bang-bang-bang,
but this would be a perfect juxtaposition to show them the
difference with the maurizio/rhythm and sound/basic channel/
chain reaction/juan atkins/infiniti/terrence dixon/robert hood/
redplanet et al that have a meditative dubby quality and yet
are great for dancing to.

  We did arrive at similar conclusions .. that the success of
  presenting Techno in its width and scope was in how you
  programmed the evening ..

  A common factor with nearly everyone I speak to is the
  " bang bang bang bang " misunderstanding of the sound ..

  VS. the penchant for old school techno Dj's to play something
  interesting (melodic/clangy) instead of dance floor orientated ..

  I suggest it goes further to the fact that Dj'ing is a skill being
  constantly underestimated.  Especially in regards to presenting
  techno .. which in truth requires a true understanding of pitch,
  tone and rhythm ..

  For the fact that most Dj's i know never quite understood in a
  musical & technical sense what someone like Jeff Mills is
  doing when he plays ..

  I think even outside selection .. much needs to be explained
  and expressed about the methods of playing the music .. in
  order for new generations to appreciate it.

  In NZ in particular .. a whole generation of dance heads have
  missed the particulars & finesse of properly presented techno.

  Infact ' nearly all Dj's I hear today adhere to strict beat matching
  policies .. working the 32 & 16 to perfection .. instead of reaching
  deeper into sonic conditions to find the harmonics shifting point.

  Wild Pitch ' Pitch Mix ' the drop ' the cut '

  Are people experiencing this out there ?

  Have we gotten over the sloppy attitude of

  "I don't care about the mix .. I just play the music"

  I can appreciate the approach of the collector ' valuing each tune
  for its content & context .. but are we going to see a rebirth of the
  musical DJ ' someone in tune with the records ' the sound system
  and the technology.

  as per usual . I feel the music is brilliant   .. where as the culture
  and understanding of the music as a condition mind is lacking.

  Classical music is strict and precise in its interpretation and
  representation of the music .. while techno contains complexity
  and depth to equal comparison .. we continue to digress our
  knowledge into 'bang bang bang"

  How does the future evolve ?

  .simon