>no one told you to quit loving the music, but at least admit that after 4-5
>years of having the even lose money, cant we all admit that the scene cant
>support it the way we want it?

uh no? i cant even agree that's the point of view to look at it from. even the
first year the majority of festival-goers didn't look like scenesters to me,
and in the years since they've clearly been ravers who know f-all about the
music being played. i dont think anyone has ever assumed the relatively small
legion of people into "the scene" could support the festival. they do however
help validate the festival as something more than just some big party a bunch
of kids go to and drug out to, but thats beside the point.

people a lot more involved and in-the-know than you seem to think the event has
a future of some sort....if it didn't seem viable in the past it wouldn't have
happened, it doesn't seem viable this year it won't, end of story. seems to me
last year was the first year the festival generated solid numbers to base a
strategy from, and wasn't mismanaged and sold on grossly exaggerated sales
forecasts, which is a good start.

but i thought we were admitting that the music of the festival (and this list)
is irrelevant nostalgia music and that we were akin to dead-heads and hair-band
fans? and toss in, wah wah techno isnt "futuristic" anymore, i'm so sick of
hearing that sh:t! it never was, it was the people who made it and listened to
it that attached futurist fantasies and imagery to it, and that was a product
of the times. the fact that that "futuristic" element is no longer such an
intoxicating part of the music (to some) has nothing to do with the music, it
has a lot more to do US, with the disappointment of the "space age", a more
up-to-date perception of how technology is progressing, living in a new century
etc. and "the scene"? when was there ever really a "scene" in detroit? at it's
heydey it was tiny according to those who were part of it, you are romanticizng
the death of a myth, which is all well and good i suppose. i'm all for an
intelligent discussion of the future of the festival, altho it may be
relatively pointless here, but you are talking about trendiness, and
insecurities about how uncool we are, and "the scene", and other bullsh:t which
is just ineffective self-relevant nonsense if you ask me which no one did but
FFS gimme a break already.