i completely agree on the 16 track comment. etc etc

Bit late to this one but....

I kinda figure that what Tom is taking about is the point of entry, and while it is a lot easier to get into doing "electronic" music now than it was say 20 years ago, the process of making music hasn't really changed at all.

You may luck out a few times hitting the random button but that's about all that will happen. There's a massive difference between the Mona Lisa and a picture done by Paint By Numbers, there's no process for writing good tunes or being creative - there are things that will make it easier for you to work but it won't make you "good", much the same as taking acid won't turn your every word/thought in something deep and meaningful, although Syd may argue with me hear :) I know when I work I try to convey the feeling and/or movement from myself into a track, other times I write little stories and try to give a narrative, other times I'm got myself in a "state of mind" and gone in and made music with Rich and Ken.

On the number of tracks, sometimes I'd say you'll need that many simply so you can work in an nondestructive environment but more isn't always better and sometimes having limits is an interesting creative challenge, I often go back to using my W30 with just 8 seconds of sample time for example but having more tracks allows me to go back in and make changes which is of great value...