----- Original Message ----- From: "Stewart Caig" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <313@hyperreal.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2006 4:47 PM
Subject: Re: (313) radio interview about the early toronto rave scene

Was 'James Brown is Dead' considered underground?  I remember it being
all over the place in europe.

Jamil

(btw, I never liked that lyric. Viva J.B.!!!)

I never thought so. There were so many hoover eurobeat rave Mentasm clones coming out around that time anyway and that wasnt one of the best ones to be honest.

I don't think it was particularly underground in the states either. It definitely wound up umpteen million 'this is rave XXMMLLIII' comps you'd find at Best Buy, etc.

I must confess I liked it and played it back then, and a good chunk of the stuff I liked/played at the time was of this ilk. :/ When you lived in a place that was fairly isolated from this music it was harder to differentiate between the good and the bad. It was all kinda cool for its newness. For me at least. It obviously didn't date well though...

Tristan
=======
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.phonopsia.co.uk