"kent williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 11/22/2006 11:09:30 AM:

> Of course Twatkins should pop up and remind us that there was a time
> when Trance wasn't a dirty word ...

Tristan - sorry if I beat you to the punch ;-)

> There are a lot of artists who seem to really jump the shark,
> apparently to get the big gigs in the big rooms in Europe.  The
> Circulation series had some gems that really work on the dance floor,
> and then they got all 'Progressive' or whatever you call it, and they
> seemed to be bathing in a giant vat of Suck.  Sander Kleinenberg has
> made some truly beautiful tracks that are in that indefinable sweet
> spot between techno, deep house and trance, stuff you could mix with
> e.g. Terrace and John Beltran.

anything in particular Kent? I'm up for good music from anyone.

> And then he's got the stuff he does in
> order to be a big room DJ in Europe for the E'd up teens... *shudder*

I think techno DJs do the same thing though.  Check any big room gig (vs
small room) and you're probably going to find "big room" tunes from
whichever genre the DJ prefers. Big room tunes work in big rooms with lots
of people you need to please.

> Which brings up a more relevant-to-313 point:  Sure we all think 'our'
> guys -- i.e. real techno, Detroit House/Deep House/Whatever DJs --
> rule, and Trance DJs are a bunch of narcissistic pederasts.  But --
> isn't _every_ really well-made DJ set on some level emotionally
> manipulative?

Of course, that's the nature of the DJ meets dancer situation.  That's the
nature of music - period.

> So you don't have a long build up with simplistic A
> Minor, C Major, G Major, D Major synth twittering, but aren't you
> trying to do the same thing, only with Tracks That Do Not Suck?

Yep.

> Is there something inherently more authentic and deep about the
> manipulations of 'our' DJs vs the TranceWankers?

Well, it will come down to personal preference but you could make an
argument that simplistic, cliché ridden, glossy trance is authentic in just
the ways I described.  It's not trying to be anything more than very
populist and the producer is cranking them out like an assembly line.  If
it's honest with what it is - I suppose it's authentic.  Deepness is, in
the end, a personal thing.  Does it speak to you?  If it does then I
suppose it's deep for you (in one way or another) but for others it might
not be.

There really is no arguing taste.  As much as I wish you could find some
key to turning off bad music - it'll always be there.

MEK