I can see it two ways. Why would a credible techno producer want to go out
of their way to associate themselves with the trance scene ten years after
it became its own codified collection of crap? Or why should the techno
scene let the trance scece have dominion over a term that came about as a
(good) description for techno like Stardancer and Sun Electric, when the
codified variety does not so much induce trance as sleep? I dunno. I can't
be arsed with the labels that much. It's marketing schpeel. They have their
descriptive function within reason, but I think 'neotrance' may be too much
effort and not enough description. Then again, if it sells proper techno to
trance kiddies it's prolly a good thing. Gotta keep the new blood flowing in
somehow!

All that said, when I think of some of the better Michael Mayer sets
floating around from a couple of years ago, I'd be hard pressed to think of
a better description than 'trance' - in a good way. And what would you call
some of that trancey Hiroshi Watanabe stuff? Some of this stuff shares more
in common with old trance than old techno. Maybe it should be "benetrance"!

Tristan
=======
http://www.phonopsia.co.uk
[EMAIL PROTECTED]