From: kent williams [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, November 22, 2006 12:10 PM
To: list 313
Subject: Re: (313) RE: Neotrance (Was (313) EevoNext presents: Terrace
Unchained EP)

Of course Twatkins should pop up and remind us that there was a time
when Trance wasn't a dirty word ... back when Tom Cox was rocking
Vanilla Ice tapes in 6th Grade ;-)

There are a lot of artists who seem to really jump the shark,
apparently to get the big gigs in the big rooms in Europe.  The
Circulation series had some gems that really work on the dance floor,
and then they got all 'Progressive' or whatever you call it, and they
seemed to be bathing in a giant vat of Suck.  Sander Kleinenberg has
made some truly beautiful tracks that are in that indefinable sweet
spot between techno, deep house and trance, stuff you could mix with
e.g. Terrace and John Beltran.  And then he's got the stuff he does in
order to be a big room DJ in Europe for the E'd up teens... *shudder*

Which brings up a more relevant-to-313 point:  Sure we all think 'our'
guys -- i.e. real techno, Detroit House/Deep House/Whatever DJs --
rule, and Trance DJs are a bunch of narcissistic pederasts.  But --
isn't _every_ really well-made DJ set on some level emotionally
manipulative?  So you don't have a long build up with simplistic A
Minor, C Major, G Major, D Major synth twittering, but aren't you
trying to do the same thing, only with Tracks That Do Not Suck?

Is there something inherently more authentic and deep about the
manipulations of 'our' DJs vs the TranceWankers?

I'm not trying to stir the pot, I'm actually curious what people
think.  How much of the judgement is based on any perceived idea of
quality, and how much is just a matter of taste?