Hi Gil

"If it sounds bad enough, don't listen to it" etc

I think the almost epidemic concern about the state of today's mastering
comes from the fact that we don't have a choice.  You can't simply say
"'don't listen to it" otherwise you would not listen to anything produced in
the last decade.  Sure, in your example you got the originals but for
anything produced in the last 10 years, this simply is not an option.  It's
squashed or nothing..

"and stop listening to music with soundforge or peak, I mean really..."

..I think Graham did start off by saying it sounded crap so he then imported
into SoundForge to investigate.

Btw, Im probably sounding like some audiophile snob and which I really am
not.  I kinda have a separate issue with audiophiles, however, Im still
concerned by the tends in mastering and the fact that there is no
alternative (yet!!).

See you,

Paul
London