Waaaay OT (unless this somehow comes around to Mad Mike's ancestors)

Right, but the entire tribe never surrendered.  Some did and some did not.

You should read the entire article you posted:

The situation grew worse. In August 1835 Private Kinsley Dalton (for whom

Dalton, Georgia is named) was killed by Seminoles as he was carrying the

mail from Fort Brooke to Fort King. In November Chief Charley Emathla,

wanting no part of a war, led his people towards Fort Brooke where they

were to board ships to go west. This was considered a betrayal by other

Seminoles. Osceola met Charlie Emathla on the trail and killed him.[8] The

Second Seminole War was beginning.

the US gov gave up because they were losing too many soldiers fighting the

guerrilla warfare that the Seminoles.  One reason that the tribe was

attacked by the government for was that they took in runaway black slaves

that fled into the swamps.

MEK

"Thomas D. Cox, Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 02/05/2007 11:08:20
AM: