cyborg elpH wrote:

>What do we

> "listen for" in techno music????  It's weird, and I'm really not sure why
> I listen to techno.  Is it genetic? environmental?  ???? What??

I guess i listen to 'techno' because it's interesting music.
to me techno music can be forward thinking or a nostalgia representation of
the future like electro.
today the true definition of techno is vague because technology enables
people to use a wide variety of tools at their disposal to create futuristic
electronic dance music.
thus you have many interpretations of techno and a more eclectic use of
sounds,
thats why you have so many dance music genres, has nothing to do with a
mysterious detroit techno virus but more to do with the advancement of
technology.
the instrument that revolutionized techno music was not the Roland XOX box
or synthesizer but the sampler.
It was the old analogue medium evolving to a new digital/computer based
medium creating new possibilities, making techno music more accessible and
affordable for dj/producers.
what really started techno was the creation of dance music on drum machines
and synths/ keyboards.This had a mechanical-electronic result, so dance
producers took a more futuristic/ sci fi approach to their music because
high resolution sequincers and samplers were not available at the time so
they could not reproduce the feal of a live band or disco orchestra.
techno had more to do with visionary dance producers utilizing technology in
a studio  then live musicians playing interments.
The TR 808 Rhythm Composer and Kraftwerk started it all.

that was brilliant.

later,
spw

PS. NO! I haven't read Techno Rebels yet.