When I first read this I thought "yes I'm sure that's absolutely right".
But then I thought a little bit more and I'm not sure it's the whole answer.
What I think looking at covers (real or virtual) gives me is some information /
association that I can absorb very quickly and use
to make a decision on what to play next.
It's not the only way you could do that though - i.e. I don't just want to do
it this way because it's what I'm used to.  I can
think of other things.  In fact the "covers" thing would not be as good as a
gadget that quickly "previewed" in the headphones how a
load of alternative tracks would sound mixing out of the one playing.  But of
course there wouldn't be enough time to do this with
too many tracks - what I was saying about accessing the info quickly.
So let's imagine some other wonder gadget that did a different version of
"covers".  How about a jack that plugged into your head
and gave you a millisecond flash of how a track "made you feel"?  OK I'm being
silly now but maybe you get my drift.

And the funny thing is even though I don't DJ with a PC (yet) I know what
people mean when they talk about not being grabbed by a
list of file names.  Sadly I keep a log (not always up to date or accurate) of
the records I buy.  Just a clipboard with a few A4
sheets with the 12"/LP names pencilled on.  I started this about 15 years ago
when I only had 3 or 4 hundred records and wanted a
way to quickly look through them.  I've kept it up and it isn't a big deal to
do - just a few words every week or two when I've been
to the shop a couple of times (there's no way I could start it from scratch
now, it would be too big a job, I'd like to switch to a
database with more details on but it would take winning the lottery and
employing someone to transcribe).  But the point is although
I keep this up, as it's easy, it's never really served its purpose: sitting
down at the kitchen table with a list of all the records
I have and being able to quickly skim down to select a boxful to take out.  It
just doesn't sink in and your eyes slip over a title
without really taking in what it means.  I still end up on my hands and knees
crawling around my record shelves actually looking at
them because only then do I really see (=hear?) them.

So although I agree it's partly about making new digital forms act like old
analogue ones by aping their physical aspect, it's also
a psychological one about how we absorb information.

Phew! (good job I'm off on holiday for 3 weeks on Friday as that's 313ed me
out).