as an avid vinyl collector for the last 20+ years, [who also made the mistake of buying entire catalogues of some labels on cassette, sadly]..

I originally thought I'd hate to use a digital imitation of the real thing. Especially from the packaging perspective [which led me into being a director anyway, by way of 4AD and Factory's stellar album artwork]

At one point, Dan Bell + I spoke of being able to download music and play it that night; but we didn't expect it to be MP3's; rather, we thought the Vestax personal record lathe would actually allow you to cut your own masters and play them.. ha.

But then record sales became harder for most of the world, not just those who buy the records and play them at clubs; the vinyl plants in the US were shutting down left and right, and it became increasingly difficult to get quality vinyl manufactured here in the US.

Unfortunately, I fell into the same pitfalls as the rest of us, got lazy, and started writing most of my music on the laptop and using a breakout box to mix it down.. Somehow, with the advent of using Logic, Live, I downloaded / traded / bought stuff from anywhere and everywhere, promo packs from labels, sharing vinyl RIPs with friends, buying stuff from Beatport, Stompy, Classic / MumboJumbo, Word and Sound; [I do feel like I did my share of supporting the vinyl community, with about 5,000 records, old + new]...

Now, as I tour, playing live and DJing often in the same night, I've been trying to find the right solution for a gig, and for me playing music digitally [still controlled by vinyl control records] is the way to go for me; with the NI Traktor Scratch + Audio 8 DJ interface I'm able to not only play a sh*tload of different music, faster, and 3-4 tracks at a time, but can also switch into doing a live set; play loops while DJing, and add effects to the mix and move music forward in another direction.. I used to use Serato + a Presonus Firebox [for the live set] but as soon as Audio 8 came out, I dropped it, for a box that did not only MIDI + audio I/O but would allow me to DJ with the same hardware as well..

and now I can bring more hardware to play live with, which as a musician, is more important to have more tone control and knobs, than a few more pieces of often "one good side only" vinyl...

Just because you use Serato / FS2 / DJDecks / Traktor, doesn't mean you have to play mnml or hip-hop only these days.. [as the case often is in NYC] and you can have your friends bring a Flash drive and DJ with you.. or add stuff at the last second to your collection.

I don't want to kill vinyl, but I'm recognizing that "us dinosaurs" might be among the last few that still hold on.. I've been to parties [and played clubs] where there's no freaking 1200's in sight.. just CDJs!

somehow, I hope that people still recognize the value of the mediums [visual + aural] and what they are _ALL_ good for...

+odd