I can't say anything for Detroit, because I never ate
at a coney island place there...But I used to frequent
Angelo's in Flint, and my Dad worked there when he was
in high school back in the mid 60's.

The ultimate 3 am food was the Coney Dogs and Fries
and Gravy.  The coney sauce was made of ground beef
hearts, which I was always told was unique  for coney
sauce.  Some places I know use ground up hot dogs, and
super fatty scraps of everything else.  The dogs were
always Vienna style dogs...which are my favorite.

I have never eaten on the real Coney Island, but I am
assuming it is completely different than the
interpretation we had in Flint.

Funnny...Wikipedia says the type of hot dog used was
developed in Michigan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coney_Island_hot_dog

More reading and you find that Coney Island NY isn't
really responsible for the style of hot dog, the type
of restaurant, or the ingredients.  It is just a
name...
--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I've never understood how a coney island became a
> Detroit thing since Coney
> Island is in NYC
> what's the connection?
>
> MEK
>
> "Michael Kuszynski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on
> 04/25/2008 04:45:41 PM:
>
> > nytimes just had an article about how coney island
> is the best dog the
> > author had. i thought they were absolutely awful
> and the chilly sent
> > shivers down my intestines.
> >
> > On 4/25/08, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Any Detroit dishes?  I know the UP has their
> pasties.  Yum!
> > >
> > > MEK
> > >
> > > John Sokolowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
> on 04/25/2008 04:22:11

Be a better friend, newshound, and