Wait a second...

how is it _not_ the "fans" fault for Geist not getting paid for his music
when people download via P2P before it's even out?

you can't blame the technology - it takes someone to drive that car to get
it from A to B
P2P/blogs/etc. sites aren't breaking into people's houses and forcing the
files on them
nobody is holding the "fans" at gun point and telling them that they MUST
share the files with all of their friends

they're doing it willingly and not thinking about what it costs the artist
- especially the struggling independent artist

people are looking to get something for nothing

it is the "fans" fault but they just don't want to admit that their actions
are hurting the musicians they claim to love
it's a case of sticking their fingers in their ears and yelling "I can't
hear you!"

you can say that we're losing the old way of appreciating music but the
fact remains that people are still taking the music and the musicians
aren't getting paid for it

it's pretty black and white - if you want the music you should give
something in return that the musician can use
most of the time, that something is financial funding

if you don't have the money to pay the musician for it then you shouldn't
have it -
in a world that was good the musicians you wouldn't have people with half a
gazillion tunes in their iTunes unless they are millionaires
you should be content with having less

music shouldn't be treated like a cheap commodity by the fans nor anyone
else

continuing to blame the technology lets the so-called fans off the hook -
they don't have to face the fact that getting Morgan Geist's tracks off a
friend hurts Morgan Geist

MEK