From: Frank Glazer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 29 September 2008 14:58
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: 313@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: (313) Morgan Geist interview

Ah, see, my point has nothing to do with morals nor ethics.  In my
understanding the OP works for a music shop, rubadub if i'm not
mistaken, a shop that most likely relies on repeat business by paying
customers of music media, not just music gear.  Sure, there are going to
be people who use it legitimately, but if the OP's point was that most
people just steal music, it's ironic at least and really bad business at
worst that they're enabling their own lack of repeat business.  Dig?
After all, even the legitimate users of mp3s are not going to do (much)
repeat media business at the shop.  They're going to go to
traxsource.com or junodownload.com or beatport.com, or any of the many
other legitimate online music stores.  As far as I can tell rubadub does
not yet have an online music shop.  So, while I didn't really mean to
judge rubadub's decision to sell serato (notice my original post made no
judgement other than that it's interesting) you have to admit that it
does say something.  I'd love to hear what else Jason or anybody in the
rubadub crew has to say about their business model in this regard.

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 7:44 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Why should it?  One might advocate taking the choice of whether to
> break the law out of the hands of the individual with technology when
> it came to say, gun control.  But in this case when there's a
> perfectly legit way to use such gear why should a shop then have to
> stop selling it because some people (even if the majority) are not
using it in a "legal" and possibly not "moral" way.  They're the ones
ripping people off - if that's what they're doing (which doesn't mean to
say I don't think they are, I'm just trying not to be involved in that
argument while this other bit seems clear cut to me).

--
peace,

frank

dj mix archive:  http://www.deejaycountzero.com
Note:

Any views or opinions are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent
those of Channel Four Television Corporation unless specifically stated. This
email
and any files transmitted are confidential and intended solely for the use of
the
individual or entity to which they are addressed. If you have received this
email in
error, please notify [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thank You.

Channel Four Television Corporation, created by statute under English law, is
at 124 Horseferry Road, London, SW1P 2TX .

4 Ventures Limited (Company No. 04106849), incorporated in England and Wales
has its registered office at 124 Horseferry Road, London SW1P 2TX.

VAT no: GB 626475817