Unlocking the Groove is an excellent book by Mark Butler.  It does not
focus entirely on Detroit music, rather Butler includes Detroit techno
within a larger frame of electronic dance music in general.  His
analysis of the music and compositional methods is really fascinating
and, at least for me, one read through has not been enough to fully
grasp his analysis.  I plan to sit down with it again soon.

--
Denise Dalphond
Ph.D. Candidate