Regarding  the menu bars on server -

> Calling SET MENU BAR during On Server Startup
> - this crash will occur in a test database with only this line of code in the
> On Server Startup method

This *was* a known issue, it was filed as ACI0097391. It should be fixed in the
latest v16 and v17 releases, I am not sure about the R release.

However, keep in mind that the command SET MENU BAR is documented to have no
effect on the server;
http://doc.4d.com/4Dv17/4D/17/Stored-Procedures.300-3743249.en.html
^ So calling SET MENU BAR on the server is a mistake.

A wrapper for the SET MENU BAR command could look like this:

If(Application type#4D Server)
    SET MENU BAR($1)
 End if

Regarding the progress window -

>opening a small window for showing progress messages during the startup
>routine. Especially important while running internal data update routines

The documentation summarizes it like this:
{
Generally speaking, stored procedures executed on the server should not deal
with interface items (such as menus, windows, forms...). Indeed the interface
is not managed on the server's side.
Commands displaying dialog boxes on the server machine as well as dialog boxes
dealing with data entry should be avoided.
}

So I think this should probably be avoided also.

Kind Regards,

Tim PENNER