On Mar 25, 2019, at 4:41 PM, Jim Hays wrote:

> I'm having trouble understanding how to control the use of backups and
> journal files.
>
> Here are some things we do, or want to do:
> - Deployed servers have backups fully configured, with logs, recovery
> settings etc.
>  We're doing this, and have not needed mirrors or anything of that level
> over the years.
>
> - Development server should NOT have backup and journal files.
>  We switch data files a lot and it becomes a mess of files and requests to
> find the journal, create a journal, or errors with the journal.
>  There should be no interruptions when running automated builds and tests
>
> - Single user instances should not have backups and journals.
>  We use single user development, and for built application demos.
>  The data is generally disposable or for demo purposes
>
> How do we manage this?
> - is there a tech note about this sort of thing?
> - programmatically turn settings on/off?
> - where is the "USE LOG FILE" setting kept?
>  (why is it not in backup.xml?)
> - edit or externally manage the backup.xml file
>
> Thanks for any tips!

Backup settings are stored at the path
"{structure.4DB}/Preferences/Backup/Backup.xml”. So each structure file has
it’s own backup settings. So you should never copy the “Preferences” folder
from 1 machine to another.

When you are moving data files around between systems, just copy the entire
data file folder. That will have the .4DD, .4DIndx, .Match and .journal files.
If they are all in the same folder you can open that data file with another
structure and it will not ask you for the location of the .journal. The key is
to have all these files in the same folder and to always move the entire folder
between machines.

I wouldn't worry if you have .journal files hanging around on your development
machine when you open another data file. Who cares? But if it really bothers
you, then once you open that data file with your development structure just go
to Database Settings and turn off the journal file. Then your development
machine will stop writing to the journal file. And if you are a “neat nick”
then go delete the .journal file from the data file folder.

Also, you set the use of a journal file at the structure level in your
development machine. Leave it off. Then the first time you deploy that
structure file to a server machine it will not ask for or use a journal file.
So if you want to use a journal file on that server, then go to Database
Settings and turn it on. The next time you deploy a new structure file to that
server it should notice there is already a .journal file in use with that .4DD
and continue to use it.

Now if you copy that datafile folder back to your development machine, you have
to copy the .journal file too. I believe .journal file usage is internally
stored in a .4DD, so once you have it set up, they must stay together, or you
get the messages you are talking about.

That’s how I understand it.

Tim

Tim Nevels