> On Mar 25, 2019, at 5:11 PM, Tim Nevels via 4D_Tech <4d_tech@lists.4d.com>
> wrote:
>
> When you are moving data files around between systems, just copy the entire
> data file folder. That will have the .4DD, .4DIndx, .Match and .journal
> files. If they are all in the same folder you can open that data file with
> another structure and it will not ask you for the location of the .journal.
> The key is to have all these files in the same folder and to always move the
> entire folder between machines.

Having the .journal file next to the database file defeats the main benefit of
having the journal. If the drive crashes, you could could recreate the database
from the last backup and the journal file (assuming both are on another drive).

> Now if you copy that datafile folder back to your development machine, you
> have to copy the .journal file too. I believe .journal file usage is
> internally stored in a .4DD, so once you have it set up, they must stay
> together, or you get the messages you are talking about.

If your log file is on a second volume in production and your development
machine has only one drive, there is no way to automate the restore of the
backup without the log file prompts. I also wanted a fully automated restore
with no log file or prompts to allow users to test experimental features. This
is possible in every database I'm aware of, except for 4D.

See feature request from Jeff Kain and other discussion here:

https://forums.4d.com/Post/EN/22296877/1/22296878

John DeSoi, Ph.D.