>> How can this be done for the panel applet?
>>

> apt-get install gksu-polkit

The idea to set SUID results from the fact, that there is no PolicyKit
for Hardy. SUID is made for such cases. The probable security risk for a
multi user system is, that some user could harm the system, but it's
hardly probable that if I will run Firefox or Thunderbird, somebody from
outside will compromise my computer, because I set SUID for the
frequency applet. I'm the only user for my system. Another question is,
what will be the problem if somebody would compromise my computer and
what will be the problem if humans will produce to much CO2?

If somebody fears to set SUID, he can clear the bit after making his
choice for the frequency scaling, e.g. because his DAW is used as multi
user system for a group of non-trustful people. This really might be for
studios of public institutions, but not for a home recording studio and
the internet seems to be hardly a danger.