To the best of my knowledge, a Fake-Book shows the tune's melody line and
chords, usually given in standard dots-on-a-staff notation.  This is
enough information for a musician with practice at this to "fake it", that
is, to play the tune with some spur-of-the-moment harmonization or
accompaniment.  It's also useful for those who are mainly interested in
the melody line.  Any fake book bears a remarkable resemblance to, say,
O'Neills or Carolan!  (the irtrad stuff may not have chords, but those who
wrote the music down expected their readers to know what to do with a
melody line!).

ABC would work wonderfully for a Fake-Book.  I think.

Elizabeth Naime
[EMAIL PROTECTED]