on 7/6/03 3:03 PM, Jeff Bigler wrote:
>> If there exists an explicit linebreak command, there is
>> no reason why a bare newline should continue to imply
>> a linebreak.
>
> I can think of two reasons.
>
> a) There's a lot of ABC already in existence that depends on that
>  assumption.
>
> b) It's nice to have the two levels of linebreak, one that can be
>  overridden and one that can't.

Jeff said it better than I did.  There is nothing to prevent me from
transcribing a tune so I can read it directly from the abc itself.  Irwin's
proposal doesn't preclude that since the !break! would only be used if the
abc program wasn't handling a particular linebreak correctly.  However, why
complicate something that already works just fine?  And as Jeff says, it
would be nice to have the two levels of linebreak.