[tunes using ! as mid-source-line staff-line-break]
> ok, I guess that *almost* all of those tunes are from folk
> tradition.

The kind of tunes where it would make the biggest difference to me
aren't - I'm thinking of the late-Baroque-style variation sets on
Scots tunes by James Oswald, for example.  These retain the basic
eight-bar structure of the original, but add a lot of complexity
in ornamentation and rhythmic variation.  It makes it a lot easier
to see what's going on if you lay the source out to align the notes
of the theme with corresponding points in the variations, but it
takes a line width of well over 100 columns to incorporate enough
space to do it, and if the staff notation you printed followed the
ABC source linebreaks it would be almost unusable from variations
in note density.

One reason for supporting readable ABC source, laid out with
4- or 8-bar phrases to a line, is for blind readers.  Braille
devices usually work one line at a time, so it helps if that
line both forms a musically meaningful unit and is also not
cluttered up with noise symbols like !break!.