>This is the wrong way to look at it.  abc2win is barely being
>maintained, but tunes created with its aid are the largest single
>corpus on the web.  It's the tunes you need to care about, not
>the software.

ok, I guess that *almost* all of those tunes are from folk
tradition. Do you honestly think we can live with or without those
line breaks ? Since this fashion was introduced by abc2win (I
started learning and discovering abc with it and I'm grateful to
this software) and abc2win doesn't support multivoice and advanced
features, I strongly doubt it will be very annoying if the future
softwares "miss" this feature.
So far I haven't found that many tunes with ! for line break (yes,
I collect them all). Btw the first one I found is this one (it's
just an example, and contrary to what I said it's not folk music)
:

X: 3
T:Foots Minuet. BC.03
M:3/4