In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, David Webber
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

>From: "I. Oppenheim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>

>> On Fri, 4 Jul 2003, John Chambers wrote:
>>
>> > BTW, a year or so back, I had my tune finder's search bot  count
>the
>> > tunes  that  seemed  to come from abc2win (because of the !
>chars, or
>> > because they had a "% ... abc2win" comment). It came to between
>9 and
>> > 10%  of the tunes.
>>
>> Good to have some actual figures!
>
>If
>
>1. the above comment means that abc2win always writes its name in a
>comment
>
>and
>
>2. The files which use ! in the middle of a line as a line break are
>almost all written by abc2win
>
>then this is very encouraging news!
>
>The standard can be set to say that !...! is a special symbol, and
>developers can programs to read files on that basis UNLESS the
>header contains "abc2win" in which case it is a line break!
>
>Someone tell me that life really could be that simple!
>Please!!!!!!

Good thought, Dave. You had me excited for a minute.

However users of abc2win may well (probably?) encode their abcs by hand
with a text editor.

Bernard Hill
Braeburn Software
Author of Music Publisher system
Music Software written by musicians for musicians
http://www.braeburn.co.uk
Selkirk, Scotland