On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 09:37:48AM +0200, Guido Gonzato wrote:
> Hello,
>
> for those interested, I have uploaded the "A proposal for a new ABC 2.0.0
> standard (rev. 14/7/2003)" on my site. Have a look:
>
> http://abcplus.sourceforge.net/#ABC%20Plus%20draft
>
> It took me quite some time to get this unimpressive thing together, so
> please:

I don't think it _is_ unimpressive. I think it's tremendous to have it
spelt out like this, how things are expected to behave. And, yes, I can
believe it must have taken some time. I'm impressed, anway ...

> Enjoy, and _please_ read it twice (at least) and count to 100 (at least)
> before flooding the list with your comments...

Yes. having only read it once, so far, I'll get round to that, later.

But, one little thought occurred to me, re the much-discussed and
little-agreed "!" staff-break. With no prejudice as to whether this ought
to exist, etc etc (except that, the more I think about it, the more I'd
like it, so, if it helps ...) it needn't conflict with the !decoration!
notation at all. Generalising from all the given examples of this, they
don't any of them contain any whitespace. Even if they did, maybe it
would be acceptable to say that such ornament-names may not begin with
whitespace, ie that there should be no whitespace between the opening
"!" and the first symbol of the ornament-name ?
And I can't think of any way in which whitespace following a "!"
staff-break could have any implications for the music (?? go on,
someone ...), so I think these 2 constructions could be mixed, on the
same line of text, without any ambiguity, by including spaces after
staff-breaks if necessary. It would be a slight restriction on
flexibility of abc layout, but that's the worst (only) catch I can
think of, and it would get round the conflict.

--
Richard Robinson