Richard Robinson writes:
| But, one little thought occurred to me, re the much-discussed and
| little-agreed "!" staff-break. With no prejudice as to whether this ought
| to exist, etc etc (except that, the more I think about it, the more I'd
| like it, so, if it helps ...) it needn't conflict with the !decoration!
| notation at all. Generalising from all the given examples of this, they
| don't any of them contain any whitespace. Even if they did, maybe it
| would be acceptable to say that such ornament-names may not begin with
| whitespace, ie that there should be no whitespace between the opening
| "!" and the first symbol of the ornament-name ?
| And I can't think of any way in which whitespace following a "!"
| staff-break could have any implications for the music (?? go on,
| someone ...), so I think these 2 constructions could be mixed, on the
| same line of text, without any ambiguity, by including spaces after
| staff-breaks if necessary. It would be a slight restriction on
| flexibility of abc layout, but that's the worst (only) catch I can
| think of, and it would get round the conflict.

That would be a good idea, if we could get abc2win modified
to  follow  it.   The  examples tossed out recently include
several with a ! in the middle without any  adjacent  white
space.  I especially liked the one that had ... :|!: ....

I also wonder if !da Capo! is an approved  annotation.   If
not,  it  should  be  (along  with  !d.C.!).  Of course, it
doesn't start with a space.  But I can easily  see  abc2win
generating  at  least the "!da Ca" portion.  People writing
parsers will look at this and groan.  Far too  much  ad-hoc
lookahead for a dumb parser.

Of course, traditional music notation is about as ad-hoc  a
language as you'll find.  (Except for Intercal.  Maybe. ;-)